Physical Plant, circa 1930
SDSU Physical Plant(Photo courtesy of Special Collections and University Archives)

Physical Plant, 2012
SDSU Physical Plant

The Physical Plant Boiler Shop was designed by Howard Spencer Hazen and constructed in 1930 on the northeast ridge overlooking Alvarado Canyon.

The plant contained oil-fired boilers that provided heat to the campus during the winter. Maintenance and repair shops were located in a wing adjoining the boiler room.

The plant underwent repairs between 1935 and World War II, and the western wing of the building was extended in the 1940s as part of a Works Progress Administration project.

The Physical Plant Boiler Shop still contains boilers for heating the campus in addition to housing the Lock Shop. It now is part of a larger physical plant and maintenance complex on the northeastern edge of the campus.

Advertisements